Zuror Insurance

Guide to understanding common terms in health insurance plans.

Terminos de Salud en los planes de salud OBAMACARE

When navigating the world of health insurance, you're likely to come across a number of terms and concepts that can be confusing. Understanding these terms is essential to making informed decisions about your coverage and maximizing your health insurance benefits. Here's a guide to understanding common terms in health insurance plans and ensuring you're making informed decisions for the well-being of you and your family.

1. Deductible:

The deductible is the amount you must pay out of pocket before your health insurance begins to cover medical expenses. For example, if your deductible is $1,000, you will have to pay that amount in medical expenses before insurance begins to cover the remaining costs.

2. Copayment:

A copayment is a fixed payment you must make each time you receive a specific medical service. For example, you might have a $20 copay for visiting the doctor or $10 for a prescription.

3. Coinsurance:

Coinsurance is a percentage of the cost of a medical service that you must pay after you meet your deductible. For example, if you have 20% coinsurance, you will pay 20% of the cost of the medical service, while the insurance will cover the remaining 80%.

4. Prima:

The premium is the amount you regularly pay to the insurance company to maintain your health coverage. Generally, it is paid monthly.

5. Supplier Network:

The provider network is a group of doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals who have agreed to provide services to an insurance company's policyholders under specific terms and rates.

6. Proveedor de Atención Primaria (PCP):

Un PCP es el médico de cabecera que brinda atención médica general y coordina la atención especializada si es necesario. En algunos tipos de planes, debes obtener una derivación de tu PCP para ver a un especialista.

7. Specialist:

A specialist is a doctor who focuses on a specific medical area, such as cardiology, dermatology, or gynecology.

8. Preventive Coverage:

Preventive coverage includes regular medical exams, vaccines and screening tests designed to prevent diseases or detect them in early stages.

9. Medication Form:

The medication formulary is a list of prescription medications that your health insurance covers. Drugs can be categorized into different cost tiers, known as formulary tiers.

10. Open Enrollment Period:

The open enrollment period is the time during which you can enroll in a health insurance plan or make changes to your existing coverage. It is usually held once a year.

11. COBRA:

COBRA is a law that allows people who have lost their health insurance due to certain events, such as job loss, to keep their coverage by paying higher premiums.

12. Exclusion and limitations:

Exclusions are services or treatments that your health insurance does not cover. Limitations are restrictions on coverage, such as limits on the number of times you can receive certain treatments.

13. Emergency Services:

Emergency services are immediate, necessary medical care to treat a life-threatening illness or injury.

14. Urgent Care:

Urgent care is medical care for health problems that are not an emergency but require quick care, such as a minor injury.

15. Maximum Out-of-Pocket Expenses:

It is the maximum amount you must pay in copayments, coinsurance and deductibles in a year. Once this maximum is reached, health insurance usually covers all costs covered by the policy.

In short, understanding these common terms in health insurance plans will allow you to make informed decisions and use your coverage effectively. It is always advisable to carefully review the details of your policy and consult with the insurance company or an insurance advisor if you have specific questions about your coverage.

Write to us at our Contact Form y obtén una Specialized Consulting without obligation and without cost, with a Expert Agent.